Description: “Socially awkward high school student Otis may not have much experience in the lovemaking department, but he gets good guidance on the topic in his personal sex ed course — living with mom Jean, who is a sex therapist. Being surrounded by manuals, videos and tediously open conversations about sex, Otis has become a reluctant expert on the subject. When his classmates learn about his home life, Otis decides to use his insider knowledge to improve his status at school, so he teams with whip-smart bad girl Maeve to set up an underground sex therapy clinic to deal with their classmates’ problems. But through his analysis of teenage sexuality, Otis realizes that he may need some therapy of his own.
Creator: Laurie Nunn
Stars: Asa Butterfield, Gillian Anderson, Ncuti Gatwa
- Experience is overrated.
- It’s more art than science
- The show’s British writer, Laurie Nunn, said she intended Sex Education to be an homage to the John Hughes high school films of the 1980s, such as The Breakfast Club (1985) and Pretty in Pink (1986).
- Filming for the series took place along the River Wye in England and Wales, including locations in Llandogo and Tintern, Monmouthshire. The scenes set at Moordale Secondary School were filmed at the former Campus of the University of South Wales at Caerleon.
- Across all episodes the vehicles and TV sets used in the production are all late 20th century (1970-1990) models rather than contemporary 21st century ones. This has been done deliberately as it adds to the slightly unreal context of the show.
- Ezra Furman’s music is listened throughout out the whole first season. In fact, Ezra Furman actually appears on episode 7 as the singer in the School dance.
- Connor Swindells and Aimee Lou Wood are dating in real life.
- As a result of the #MeToo movement in which HBO took charge in 2018 by hiring intimacy coordinators for their productions, Netflix hired an intimacy coordinator, Ita O’Brien, to ensure that actors felt comfortable and safe while intimate scenes were rehearsed and later filmed.
- Filmed in Newport, South Wales.
- The school used in the filming of this is the old Caerleon University in South Wales .
- Although the show takes place in an English school named Moordale Secondary, it has an American high school environment with lockers, Letterman jackets, a rugby ball being carried around (mimicking an American football) the hallways and no school uniforms. The creators did this intentionally to make the show more accessible to international audiences (mainly American) and a homage to the John Hughes films that inspired the show.
- Eric references Otis playing Super Smash Bros and on another occasion Otis asks if Eric would like to go and play it. In real life Asa is a fan of the game series and plays competitively.