Descroption: Nathan, Kelly, Simon, Alisha and Curtis were expecting their community service to be boring. However after a freak thunderstorm they discover that it is anything but dull. Bestowed with strange powers, the five very different teens realize they have a lot more to worry about than just picking up litter, especially as they discover that they are not the only ones who have been given strange powers. Secrets will be revealed, feelings brought to the surface and relationships formed and broken. But hey, its only 12 weeks of community service; what’s the worst that could happen?
Creator: Howard Overman
Stars: Nathan Stewart-Jarrett, Joseph Gilgun, Iwan Rheon
Taglines: When five young outsiders on community service get caught in a strange storm they soon realise they have developed superpowers.
- Iwan Rheon’s character Simon was originally intended to be a villain.
- Although Howard Overman wrote a majority of the episodes, the individual actors would be allowed to discuss how their characters would act in a situation and contribute to their story lines.
- Despite rumors he left for bigger projects or because of his salary, Robert Sheehan, who played Nathan Young) stated that he only left the series because he wanted to “piss off and do other things”.
- The show was originally supposed to take place in a type of shopping centre with each of the Misfits working in a different shop on Saturdays. It was changed to the show as it is now known after E4 told Howard Overman to make it more “urban”.
- Filmed in Thamesmead, South East London, the same setting and lake where A Clockwork Orange (1971) was filmed.
- Crew members would often struggle to pronounce Iwan Rheon (Simon)’s first name. This got to the point that Lauren Socha refused to film a scene until they pronounced it right.
- Actress Lauren Socha, who portrayed Kelly Bailey in the show, was coincidentally given community service after a racial assault on a Taxi Driver in London.
- Antonia Thomas was originally reluctant to take the role of Alisha Daniels due to the heavy amount of sexual activity involved in the part. However, she changed her mind when she read the script further, met with Howard Overman and found that the character had far more depth than originally thought. Thomas also joked in an interview that when Howard Overman met with her and asked if there were any requests for character development in Series 2 she answered “less inappropriate sexual things to do on screen.”
- Ruth Negga and Joseph Gilgun (who play Nikki and Rudy respectively) both star in Preacher (2016) as Tulip and Cassidy.
- When asked who their favorite super villain from the series was, both Nathan Stewart-Jarrett and Iwan Rheon (Simon) agreed ‘Tim’ (Matt Cross) from the fourth episode of series 2 (Misfits: Episode #2.4 (2010)).
- Karla Crome and Nathan McMullen both auditioned for other characters before being chosen to play Jess and Finn respectively. Crome originally auditioned for Curtis’ love interest Nikki and McMullen, a minor villain in Series 3.
- Joseph Gilgun got ‘23456’ tattooed on to his chest in honor of his time on the series. Each number represents a different cast member from Series 3, including Matthew McNulty whose character of Seth was becoming a regular.