Description: In the mythical continent of Westeros, several powerful families fight for control of the Seven Kingdoms. As conflict erupts in the kingdoms of men, an ancient enemy rises once again to threaten them all. Meanwhile, the last heirs of a recently usurped dynasty plot to take back their homeland from across the Narrow Sea.
Creators: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss
Stars: Emilia Clarke, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
Winter is coming.
When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.
You win or you die.
War Is Coming
Five Kings. One Throne.
Sometimes those with the most power have the least grace.
All Men Must Die
I will answer injustice with justice
- Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon) received a letter from author George R.R. Martin after the show aired, stating: “Congratulations on your marvelous performance. Everyone hates you!”
- According to Kit Harington (Jon Snow), his performance in the rejected pilot episode was so bad that the creators often jokingly threaten to release scenes of it on the internet if he complains too much.
- George R.R. Martin’s wife once said that she will leave him if he kills off Arya or Sansa.
- When Jason Momoa (Khal Drogo) first met Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen) he rugby tackled her to the floor of the Belfast hotel yelling “WIFEY”.
- Writer George R.R. Martin was approached several times with plans to adapt his (still unfinished) book series “A Song of Ice and Fire” into a movie, but he rejected them all, as he thought his books were much too expansive to be made into a movie. When David Benioff and D.B. Weiss told him that they wanted to make a series out of it, he asked them who they thought Jon Snow’s mother could be. Satisfied with the answer, he agreed to sell the rights to the book.
- After filming her final scenes as Daenerys Targaryen, Emilia Clarke got a tattoo of three dragons on her wrist.
- Conleth Hill (Lord Varys) originally auditioned for the role of Robert Baratheon.
- Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister) has been nominated eight consecutive times (once for each season) for the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series at the Emmys. He won for the first, fifth, seventh and eighth season, setting a new record for most wins in the Outstanding Supporting Actor category for the same role.
- A gelatin “heart” was made for the scene in which Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) must consume a horse’s heart raw. Although it was safe to eat, Clarke said it was still foul tasting enough that her facial expressions and gagging while forcing it down required no acting for the camera.
- Wilko Johnson (Ilyn Payne) retired after the second season because he was diagnosed with cancer. While Payne appears in subsequent novels, his role in the series was effectively replaced with Bronn (Jerome Flynn), who instead accompanies Jaime Lannister (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) on later missions.
- Composer Ramin Djawadi said that after initially watching some visuals of the show, before starting to compose it, the idea for the main title theme just came to his mind and he whistled it while he was driving his car to the studio, where he started to actually write the piece.
- Kit Harington (Jon Snow) and Rose Leslie (Ygritte) were wed on June 23, 2018 in Scotland. They fell in love while playing the dynamic couple on-screen and he popped the question in September 2017.
- Prior to being cast, Lena Headey (Queen Cersei Lannister) and Jerome Flynn (Bronn) were in a relationship that ended on such bad terms that each had a clause inserted into their contracts that they were never to share scenes and must remain apart on-set. Although the show confirms that their characters have interacted at some points, this always occurs off-screen for that reason.